Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Cruel Male-Dominated Culture

Last semester I took Women's Studies 001.  One week, we discussed beauty norms.  That was when I first saw this picture.  Even then, I thought it said a lot, in many different ways.

First of all, it shows that beauty really is not defined by one set definition.  Rather, it is defined among societies, and it is different from one society to the next.  In the US, less clothing is more attractive.  Women walk around all the time with low-cut shirts on and shorts that redefine its name.  Women are suppose to be very skinny and show that off.  Furthermore, their hair is suppose to be flawless, and again, out so everyone can view it.  In the Arabic world, beauty is defined much differently.  They cover up their features, not necessarily because they are forced to, but because they have the right to do this.  They only reveal their full body to the ones they love, which produces a bond of trust that we as Americans will never know.  Their idea of beauty is not to flaunt body features. 

Also, this picture shows how different the cultures view each other.  Speaking for myself, any time I saw or heard of women wearing the complete burka and garments (I don't know the actual name?) I always felt bad for those women and thought about how oppressed they were for having to dress that way.  Until my Women's Studies class, I never thought that they might actually CHOOSE to dress that way.  In addition, I never thought of how they viewed us, wearing next to nothing like the girl in the picture. 

The words in the picture really hit me.  I almost had to laugh at the ignorance of both sides, an ignorance which I, myself, was victim to.  From the US standpoint, women are forced to cover themselves by men.  The "cruel, male-dominated culture" forced them to hide what they should be proud to show.  But from the other standpoint, American women are forced to reveal what they have the right to keep to themselves.  The "cruel, male-dominated culture" forces them to display themselves for a man's benefit. 

It all comes down to the culture.  Both have different perceptions of freedom and beauty.  Their garb reflects that.  Which one is actually the "cruel, male-dominated culture" is debatable, but what is clear is that each side is comfortable in their own clothing.

3 comments:

  1. This picture is crazy. I to have always felt pity for those who had to cover themselves up. I thought that they were forced to do it because of their men. Though I now know that they choose to wear this, I don't think the us is cruel and male dominated. We too choose what to show and not show, and it is very rare to walk around in less than nothing if not on a beach. It is still our (the women's) choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny, for just last week in women's studies, the other TA's and I decideed to show this picture to show the different points of view we all have that are developed according to our background. Looking on from a Western point of view, of course we will see an oppressed woman and feel pity for her. However, what we do not understand is that most women embrace thier customs. We say its due to their ignorance, but is it due to ours? We have to look at both sides of the spectrum. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to consider how before 9/11 many Muslim people were really paid heavily attention to, but once that attacks occurred we not only started to take note of these people but judge them without understanding their culture. Even I "felt bad" for Muslim female wear, and questioned the type of culture that would "force" them to wear such clothing. Until I gained a close relationship with someone who was Muslim and I didn't know it. For ceremonies, when she dressed up, I saw the beauty and tradition in her garments, and was able to learn of her pride and appreciation of her Muslim culture.

    ReplyDelete