Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Valley

Yesterday it was pouring rain.  Today it's cloudy.  It's been dreary out and it has really affected my mood.  I found myself thinking, "Wow.  What a freaking 'happy' valley."  And then I wondered...why is it called happy valley?  I realized, it's all rhetoric.

By calling this place happy valley, it attracts people just by the name.  Obviously, 'happy' valley will be fun, exciting, and beautiful.  All the people there will be happy, and by going there it will in turn, make me happy.  Theoretically.  The name greatly overshadows the facts.  Many days its cloudy.  I think it has rained here in the past year than I have ever seen in my life.  And contrary to the name, I am not always the happiest person alive. 
Photo by: Max Kade

Also, I thought, maybe the name has connotations with the memories that happen here.  The past year here has been one of the best in my life.  Regardless of if the day was normal, great, or even bad, thinking back does bring a smile to my face.  I've went through a lot here. And I am sure many people have as well.  So maybe the name is referring to the idea of the memories held here. 

Lastly, I have to put it down.  Maybe it's called happy valley because, well, where else would "happy valley" be besides Penn State?  The football games, the parties, THON, the academics, the creamery, the students, the Willard preacher, Old Main, the....everything.  It's all one big community that is amazing in and of itself.  So maybe people aren't always happy.  Maybe the weather isn't always great.  Maybe the memories aren't always the fondest.  But one thing is for sure.  Penn State will always be Happy Valley.

2 comments:

  1. I feel as though the term Happy Valley that is substituted for the actual university's official name is not dependent upon the weather. It is more the atmosphere that the university promotes. As difficult as this past year has been, Penn State promotes involvement in extracurricular activities and, of course, holds the commonplace that big schools are party schools. Happy Valley really depends not on the kairotic situation, but the intended reason for the foundation of this university.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me wonder if there is some sort of historical context to the naming of Happy Valley. Yet still, I think the name comes from the overall atmosphere of the town, this being the pride, events, and endless opportunities and possibilities we yet to have discover in the town. And I believe we carry these feelings of Happy Valley as students of the university as well as people living int the community.

    ReplyDelete